Today, I'm excited to bring you something awesome and new! During the launch party for The Last Bucelarii (Book 2): Lament of the Fallen, I had so much fun with the virtual discussion panels that I decided to do them on a regular basis. I want to do at least one or two per month, all on topics of interest to readers and authors. This first one is one that ALL authors will want to check out. The title "12 Mistakes that Will Make Your Editor Cringe". In the video below, I sit down with three awesome editors and talk about writing mistakes that will turn any editor's stomach. Watch it and see for yourself how you can avoid irritating your editor:
Quick Recap:The 12 mistakes are:
- Not reading submission guidelines
- Awkward, clunky, or incorrect dialogues
- Describing dialogue instead of having the dialogue
- Magic without a price/cost, undeveloped magic system or deus ex machina
- Deus ex machina
- Underdevelopment of romantic relationships -- "it's meant to be" BAD!
- Dialogue tags poorly used
- Too many big words, especially when used incorrectly. Using the words RIGHT!
- Crutch phrases that are lazy writing. "Almost", "somehow", "thought to myself",
- Incorrectly used modifiers.
- "Who" and "that" used incorrectly
- Books with female leads that don't pass the Bechdel test