The New Year is always a time for contemplation—both on the things achieved in the previous 365 days and at all one intends to accomplish in the year to come. I want the first blog post of 2018 to be both a recap of last year and a look forward at what’s in store.
A Look Back at 2017
2017 was an amazing year in so many ways!
I published four books:
Considering I had published one book the year before, that’s a huge accomplishment for me!
I also got A LOT of writing done during that time. The books I wrote during 2017 include:
- Thief of the Night Guild
- Queen of the Night Guild
- Hero of Darkness Book 4
- Silent Champions Book 1
- 10 short stories (between 4,000 to 50,000 words)
- Traitors’ Fate
All told, that’s about 500,000 words written in one year. Quite an awesome output, given it’s my third year of writing.
- Attended CondorCon in San Diego
- Attended StokerCon in Long Beach
- Attended InDScribe in Burbank
- Won a RONE Award for Best Fantasy/Sci-Fi Novel
- Had short stories published in three anthologies
- Started The Fantasy Fiends Podcast and met dozens of amazing authors
On top of that, I invested a great deal of time and effort into learning the ropes of marketing, advertising, and everything else that goes into being an indie author. All of this has put me in the position I want/need to be in to make 2018 an amazing year professionally speaking.
On a personal note, 2017 had its ups and downs. I have seen my children mature and grow into young men and women that I am very proud of. I have seen my wife do AMAZING things ranging from small (keeping her temper in check when one of our kids is being a monster) to great (being promoted and receiving commendations at her job).
I feel more in love with my wonderful wife than ever, and I understand my children a lot more than I did this time last year. That doesn’t mean the year was without its challenges—VERY much on the contrary—but I am a happier, more content man than I was last year.
A Look Forward at 2018
I am incredibly excited for everything 2018 has to bring for me.
On the professional side, I have a busy schedule of projects to complete:
- January 31st is the release of Queen of the Night Guild, the final book in my Queen of Thieves trilogy.
- Mid-February will be the release of Traitors’ Fate, a book that bridges the gap between my two series
- Late March will be the release of Ragged Heroes: A Fantasy Anthology, which I am organizing.
- May through August will mark the relaunching of the series formerly known as The Last Bucelarii, known henceforth as Hero of Darkness. The first three books will be released in May and June, with the last three books releasing July through August. That means writing at least another 250,000 words to complete the series.
- I also intend to finish the rough drafts of all three The Silent Champions trilogy novels, with the goal of publishing them in early 2018.
Of course, there’s always the hope that one of my books will win an award or help me hit best-seller status. I also intend to continue studying the marketing and advertising side of things so I can continue to make the transition to full-time writing off the money earned through selling my books.
I have also been presented with a potential job opportunity that, if it works out, could free me up to focus a lot more time on my writing. However, I won’t know for certain until April or May.
On a personal note, 2018 is going to be a big year for my family and myself. We will be making a big move, one that will take me away from my home for at least a month. It’s going to require a hefty investment of time to make the move, but it will hopefully provide a great future for my kids.
All in all, I’m incredibly eager to dive into 2018 and see everything it’s going to bring. I hope you continue to join me along my journey—both personal and professional—as we take advantage of the brand new 365 (now 364) days that this year has to offer.
Happy New Year to you all!